Kidney Transplant Updates

Updates on a kidney donor and the recipient

Friday, March 24, 2006

Day 2 of Freedom

I've been out now for over 24 hours. I slept better last night than I have in a few nights. When I got up today around 10 a.m., I felt so good. I am still sore around my belly and back, but I'm feeling better. The gas seems to mostly be gone, so there is no more neck and shoulder pain. I took a nap late this afternoon, and I slept on my side. It felt good. I'll probably sleep that way again. I'm feeling stronger everyday.

Sheryn moved to a regular hospital room last night. Mom and Dad went to vist her today, and she's still doing very well. She was retaining some extra fluid, but they have fixed that. They tested her creatinine level today and it was .8! 10 years ago when her kidneys shut down, her level was 16. Before the surgery, she was regularly testing around 7 or 8. Normal is between .5 and 1.5. So my kidney seems to be thriving in her now. I couldn't be happier for her. I'll probably go see her Sunday.

I got some pet therapy today. The owner of the hotel brings his long haired daschund to the hotel every day. Her name is Heidi, and she is SO SWEET and smart. When I saw her downstairs, Ben and I went down to see her. When I got there, she looked up at me like "Pet me, be my friend!!" I told her " I can't bend over to pet you sweetie, I'm sorry." So what does this smart little doggie do? She jumps up on the closest chair and nudges my hand with her nose like "OK, pet me now!" Soon I was sitting in that over stuffed chair with her curled up on my lap while I talked with her owner. Petting her was so calming and it kept me out of the hotel room for a while. I wonder if Lahey has a pet therapy program. It would certainly help their patients get better faster. That's always good. Just a thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home